remember when ross tried to say butternut squash and it came out squatternut bosh?
ahhh...FRIENDS. but seriously. it is that time of year when all i want to do is eat roasted root veggies and pie. anyone? so in an attempt to make a hearty, tasty, seasonal dinner for my man [without a bunch of heavy cream and butter...this time] i grabbed a savory gourd and then went to my pantry for my go-to buddy, quinoa. from there, it was a bunch of mixing and matching until i had the right palate profile and palette on the plate. here's what happened...
and i must say. it was like autumn in a bowl. plus! can you say healthy? oh yes. i think we have stumbled upon a new favorite.
here's my rough recipe. but feel free to get creative! i think next time, i might add in some dates...
1 butternut squash
1 cup quinoa (dry)
¼ - ½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup crumbled feta
½ cup pistachio meats
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
ghee (or evoo)
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- cube the butternut squash and place on a roasting pan. coat with melted ghee. season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. roast for 15-20 minutes, mixing occasionally, until tender and browned.
- cook quinoa according to instructions. once cooked, fluff and let dry/cool off the heat.
- roast the pistachios in a bit of ghee on the stovetop until warm and toasted. sprinkle with salt while warm.
- in a bowl, combine quinoa, balsamic, a splash of melted ghee, a pinch or so of red pepper flakes (to taste), salt and pepper (to taste), and roasted pistachios. you could also add in some cinnamon if you want some extra depth of flavor. and perhaps some chopped dates as i mentioned above...
- once roasted, add the squash to the bowl mixture and toss. sprinkle in feta and toss lightly to combine. dish it up!
serves 2 (plus some extra for lunch leftovers)